The Rules Revisited worked out a chart so women can see how much of their appearance is actually under their control! Height is 8% controllable!

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Rules Revisited worked out a chart so women can see how much of their appearance is actually under their control! Height is 8% controllable!

Post by MollyRen on Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:32 pm

TRIGGER WARNING FOR PEOPLE WITH BODY IMAGE ISSUES

Sarah pointed me to The Rules Revisited. (The title might be a reference to this.) The tagline is "I've dated countless women and it has always amazed me how little they know about men. If nothing else, this blog is an outlet for voicing my astonishment at the typical female's ignorance of the male mindset. At most, it is a reliable source of information for women who want to improve their chances with the opposite sex."

While not nearly as horrifying as some of the people we mock here, it nonetheless has quite a few WTF moments. Such as his views on women with short hair:

Yes, there are a few men out there that claim to like short hair. (I am actually skeptical that they are being honest with themselves. I wonder if they once had a crush on a girl that wore it short, and therefore think they like it on all women). But their number is so low that it is statistically negligible and warrants no attention. Keep the length between your shoulders and the middle of your back, and always err on the long side if you are unsure. Short hair on a woman is like a mustache on a man - while in very rare instances some people can look good in spite of it, they never look good because of it.

Then there's the post "Feminine Beauty Is Highly Controllable". He made a chart so we can see exactly which parts of our appearance are the most controllable!

"Weight and Fitness" has 85% "controllability", but only scores 42% under "attention deserved".

"Hip to waist ratio" has 10% controllability! Um, how? Surgery?

"Skin" is at 1% importance and 50% controllability! You should only devote 1% of your attention to it! Oh my god, does this mean I didn't have to spend so much time and money treating my cystic acne? (TMI: Without lots of creams and, eventually, a skin peel, I always looked like the "before" acne ads.)

Last edited by MollyRen on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:53 am; edited 4 times in total

MollyRen

View user profile http://molly-ren.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rules Revisited worked out a chart so women can see how much of their appearance is actually under their control! Height is 8% controllable!

Post by Kyrie on Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:36 am

Reading that makes me want to cut my hair really really short. Maybe just in case I meet him.

Apparently I've got 35% of control over the shape of my boob? I did not know that. How does he think that work?
And 5% for the structure of my face?? Unless he means surgery (which, knowing the type he probably won't like because faaake), I really don't see how.

Last edited by Kyrie on Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Kyrie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rules Revisited worked out a chart so women can see how much of their appearance is actually under their control! Height is 8% controllable!

Post by MollyRen on Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:38 am

I also just realized "hip to waist ratio" has 10% controllability! Um, how?

MollyRen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervocracy on Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:40 am

Well, I do have good teeth and clear skin. So I'm at... 3%. Fortunately I not only have a boyfriend, he's my sixth major partner.

Boy have I had good luck finding that "negligible" portion of men, huh?

Pervocracy

View user profile http://pervocracy.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyrie on Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:46 am

http://www.therulesrevisited.com/2011/09/because-of-and-in-spite-of.html

Unless you have a master in fashion, you shouldn't chose your own clothes. Leave that to people who want to have sex with you (ie all straight men) but don't like you. He really makes shopping sound fun.

Kyrie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervocracy on Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:47 am

Height is 8% controllable?!?!

Although "controllable" is such a red herring anyway. I could diet and put on makeup, I just have no desire to do so and even less desire to date a guy who doesn't like the way I look when I'm happy with myself.

Pervocracy

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyRen on Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:49 am

Pervocracy wrote:Height is 8% controllable?!?!

Maybe he means getting high heels? o.O

MollyRen

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyrie on Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:54 am

He's right about one thing, though, my nakedness is 100% controllable! Which is why I try not be naked in the proximity of douche-bags like him.

Kyrie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyRen on Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:55 am

Kyrie wrote:http://www.therulesrevisited.com/2011/09/because-of-and-in-spite-of.html

Unless you have a master in fashion, you shouldn't chose your own clothes. Leave that to people who want to have sex with you (ie all straight men) but don't like you. He really makes shopping sound fun.

This bit from that post is hilarious:

Get your male friends' opinions, but make sure you call their attention to the specific change (Try "How does this shirt look on me? Would it look better if it were tighter?" not just "How do I look?"). Make sure it is a male friend that does not like you, because a male friend that does like you will struggle to be objective.

Do not solicit or consider opinions from your female friends, your relatives or your gay friends. All of these are strongly colored either by their sexual disinterest in you, or a desire to avoid offending you.

Basically, I need to have a man that doesn't like me on call at all times to evaluate my fashion choices? o.O Why will he care if he *doesn't like me*???

MollyRen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah on Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:56 am

I would also like to point out this little gem about matching underwear.

Furthermore, the women wearing all this nice, coordinated underwear are hotter than 80 % of the female population. While I honestly believe a lot of girls could actually get close to that top 20 % if they worked at it, in the meantime, PLEASE stop wearing mismatched bras and panties. Your failure to do so only highlights the differences between you and the lingerie models that have long ago pegged our standards for female beauty.

And this whole post on how to look sexy during sex. Because the secret to great sex is being self conscious!

And a little detail I noted is that all of his pictures and examples feature white, and sometimes Hispanic, women or the features associated with such. How controllable is race?

Sarah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyrie on Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:56 am

MollyRen wrote:
Pervocracy wrote:Height is 8% controllable?!?!

Maybe he means getting high heels? o.O

But heels are in another category! In which he puts 100%, which is not true because there is only so long my feet can stand the heels.

Last edited by Kyrie on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:03 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typos)

Kyrie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyRen on Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:59 am

The thing about getting matching bras and panties really gets my goat, because I've had a lot of trouble finding matching bras and panties in the Large, XL, and DD sizes. If you're plus-sized, matching bras and panties that aren't beige or black pretty much don't exist. Sad

MollyRen

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyrie on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:02 am

Sarah wrote:I would also like to point out this little gem about matching underwear.
My idea on the subject is that you got to the point of undressing, the color of your underwear probably won't matter so much.

Sarah wrote:And a little detail I noted is that all of his pictures and examples feature white, and sometimes Hispanic, women or the features associated with such. How controllable is race?
You just have to really believe in it.

Kyrie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarah on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:05 am

Oh! And then there's this post! About how to ask your exs for feedback on how to improve yourself. He is telling women to text their ex-boyfriends out of the blue with questions like "I'd like to get an outsider's view of what I am doing wrong with guys. I know its a weird thing to ask, but I feel like you would be pretty objective."

If he starts giving you the typical bullshit about "we just didn't click" or "I didn't feel chemistry" it is only because he is not convinced you can handle an honest answer. So respond to those comments with reassurance that you can handle it, and tell him that you need concrete responses.

Uh. Sounds like a good way to alienate exs, come across as super needy and make everyone feel uncomfortable and like shit, while not procuring any sort of valuable information.

And Molly, I feel you on the matching underwear thing. The bra half of matching sets never come in my size. =[

Sarah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyRen on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:07 am

Sarah wrote:And Molly, I feel you on the matching underwear thing. The bra half of matching sets never come in my size. =[

Closest I've gotten to "matching" bra and undies is getting a blue bra and a complimentary color of undies, or undies made in a different style but a similar shade of blue.

MollyRen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervocracy on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:15 am

The sad thing is that this kind of stuff would have made me self-conscious to the point of TEARS when I was roughly fourteen years old.

Fortunately, since about age sixteen I've known that guys who make CHARTS of what they're looking for in a woman (and yet don't list a single quality not found in a store mannequin) are:

A) Not in fact the representatives of What All Men Secretly Think

B) Every kind of So Not Worth It

Pervocracy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervocracy on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:26 am

If I ever undress in front of a guy and he gets weird because my underwear doesn't match, I'm chalking that up Bullets Dodged.

Now, if I undress in front of a guy and he gets weird because I'm wearing men's underwear, my bad for not giving him a heads-up, but it's still a Bullet Dodged because "oh no, I wish I'd known to repress my identity for you" is a regret I am determined to NEVER have.

Pervocracy

Back to top Go down

Post by Simone Lovelace on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:50 am

I'm not going to read this whole thread, because it *will* trigger all my insecurities about how I am going to die alone. (This is even after years of work to develop a positive self-image, and despite the fact that I've gone on dates with half-a-dozen people over the past few months; and had two or three really want to date me.)

However I will say this; advice of this sort does *not* make me want to transform myself into a lingerie model. It makes me think, "if this guy is right, and this is what I would need to do to catch a man, then I'd rather be a spinster."

Relatedly: f*cking same-sex relationships. How do they work?

Simone Lovelace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyRen on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:52 am

Simone Lovelace wrote:I'm not going to read this whole thread, because it *will* trigger all my insecurities about how I am going to die alone.

Good point, Simone. Imma gonna slap a TW on it for people with body image issues.

MollyRen

Back to top Go down

Post by MollyRen on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:57 am

Sarah wrote:Oh! And then there's this post! About how to ask your exs for feedback on how to improve yourself. He is telling women to text their ex-boyfriends out of the blue with questions like "I'd like to get an outsider's view of what I am doing wrong with guys. I know its a weird thing to ask, but I feel like you would be pretty objective."

If he starts giving you the typical bullshit about "we just didn't click" or "I didn't feel chemistry" it is only because he is not convinced you can handle an honest answer. So respond to those comments with reassurance that you can handle it, and tell him that you need concrete responses.

What if the honest answer is something like "I think we had mismatched libidos" or "I'm left-wing, you're right-wing"? Or even "I want children and you don't"? WHAT THEN, RULES REVISITED?

MollyRen

Back to top Go down

Post by Polliwog on Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:44 am

Speaking as a woman who has to special-order her G-cup bras and wears a regular size 5 in underpants, the notion that I could easily have a vast selection of matching lingerie sets deserves no response other than HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Also, I am deeply amused by the notion that this is a thing that bothers most guys. The reaction of every guy who's gotten to see me in my skivvies so far has pretty clearly appeared to be, "Yay, almost-naked girl! I bet I can touch her boobs! Yay, boobs!" and not so much, "Oh my god, she wears plain comfortable cotton underwear, despite having to wear a $90 bra because it's the only one in the entire city sold in her size! This horrific fashion faux pas has completely destroyed my arousal. Please, put your clothes back on. My penis is far too precious to waste on someone whose underpants are the wrong color."

Polliwog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dracula on Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:15 pm

Make sure it is a male friend that does not like you, because a male friend that does like you will struggle to be objective.

I know this isn't necessarily the most fucked up part of this, but seriously, he's basically encouraging women to deliberately cultivate friendships with men who don't like them.

He is telling women to text their ex-boyfriends out of the blue with questions like "I'd like to get an outsider's view of what I am doing wrong with guys. I know its a weird thing to ask, but I feel like you would be pretty objective."

I'm not sure why he thinks someone you've had an intimate history with is supposed to be an "objective outsider".

Dracula

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marc2020 on Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:33 pm

I can imagine that chart as being the sort of thing a serial killer would come up with on his day off

marc2020

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Simone Lovelace on Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:15 pm

MollyRen, thanks for adding the TW. That's a really great idea that I hadn't even thought of.

I just skimmed the thread, determined that it wasn't for me at this time, and went back to doing some homework, so no harm done. ^_^

Simone Lovelace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tenya on Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:25 pm

Argle bargle, don't you silly womenz understand that guys are only attracted to women who spend all their free time on their appearance? Don't work out for fitness goals, work out because it is 85% controllable and should comprise 42% of your attention! And not like we don't have 90 bazillion fashion/beauty/blah blah magazines telling us this shit ANYWAY. Oh no! We were just waiting for a buy with a love of Excel to explain it THE RIGHT WAY.

Somehow managed, despite not spending more than 2 minutes on my hair a day, not shaving my legs or pits, not altering my eyebrows or wearing make-up, wearing mismatched undies ALL THE TIME (it is a rare occasion when they match), and only working out because I really like kickboxing, to have marriage plans. Oh, and this here?
We know that the best things in life never come easily, so if a girl let us fuck on the first date, two things happen: first, her value as a woman drops dramatically, and second, it shatters the perception that she is someone unobtainable to other men, which also lowers her value.
Didn't follow that 'rule' either. Any guy that is convinced my value as a woman is directly proportional to the timing of fucking him is not worth it. And if, as the comments try to convince us, that was just "how all men think" then not worth it to date them in general.

tenya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by darksidecat on Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:55 pm

I love how the color of your clothes and your hairstyle is more important to him than anything physical, like body shape or facial features. Also, the dramatic importance of "eyelashes".

What is this guy, Meller, who just wants to dress up a doll?

darksidecat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by thebionicmommy on Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:19 pm

I need to tell my husband that The Rules Revisited has said he is wrong to like pixie haircuts on women. The Rules says his opinion is negligible and warrants no attention!

thebionicmommy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Viscaria on Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:24 pm

Oh my gosh, the "How To Look Good During Sex" post XD. Half of his suggestions are how to emulate things a lot of people do when they're sexually aroused, which makes sense, because if you're spending your whole sexual encounter worried about moving your body in precisely the right ways to be as sexy as possible for your partner, you're probably not going to be all that aroused for real.

I wonder what he does to make sure his partners are as turned on as possible by his looks when he's having sex?

Viscaria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyrie on Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:50 pm

Viscaria wrote:I wonder what he does to make sure his partners are as turned on as possible by his looks when he's having sex?
What do you mean? He's a straight man, why would he care about such ridiculous things? Very Happy

Kyrie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervocracy on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:24 pm

Viscaria wrote:Oh my gosh, the "How To Look Good During Sex" post XD.
This is brilliant neg-logic. He's totally moving the focus from "is this dude any good at all at arousing me?" to "am I looking aroused enough?", therefore making the woman's failure to collapse into porn-star ecstasy entirely a failure on her part.

Now, when he gives a woman a terrible fuck and she doesn't feel a damn thing, he can tell her that she screwed up, and he's very disappointed and expects her to do better the next time.

...God, this is kinda horrifying.

Pervocracy

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top