Innocuous yogurt commercial causes YouTube users to resort to misogyny (and essentially proves that misogyny is widely accepted in society)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Innocuous yogurt commercial causes YouTube users to resort to misogyny (and essentially proves that misogyny is widely accepted in society)

Post by Lioness on Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:51 pm

I'm sure you've seen this annoying commercial before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSoNuA_bqf0

I find it groan-inducing in that it assumes that women will think dessert-flavored yogurt is a substitute for the real thing, but I don't find it misogynistic. YouTube users, on the other hand, have gone into "Misogyny Mode," whining about the commercial being "anti-man" and that the actress is a "[c-word]." Let's have a look, shall we?

"Another anti man commercial. I cannot stand that woman she is annoying!"

Okay, I agree that the actress is annoying. However, how is this "anti-man?" The husband isn't even portrayed as dumb; he's merely misinterpreting what his wife is saying over the phone and thinks she's talking about real desserts.

"Man I hate her voice! I turn off the TV every time I hear her.

And her babe needs to grow some balls and tell her to get her ugly ass off the phone and cook some steak!"

Another variation of "make me a sammich," only with steak.

This commercial has been around way too long and depicts the sad reality of how society views men. Some bitter women just love the notion that we are nothing more than dumb animals who graze around the house and need to be supervised.

I don't see how this commercial qualifies as "gender issues" material. The man isn't even portrayed as dumb.

"She is probably the ugliest, most vile person on the INSIDE."

...For talking about yogurt?

"We men marry strong, bitter, self-centered women because we are too stupid to live alone. We may accidentally hurt ourselves!"

I wouldn't say you're too stupid to live alone, but I would say you're too stupid to realize that this commercial means nothing.

"Agreed, if the roles were reversed this commercial wouldn't last a week!"

How so? Honestly, I would see no difference if the roles were swapped. Hell, I'm sure there'd be men commenting about western women being fat-asses who scour refrigerators for desserts. But that's okay to say, because at least it's not talking shit about men!

"What a sad, soulless male. This is what most angry, divorced, borderline lesbos wish their husbands were like."

Er...wow.

"I cringe every time I see this commercial. What a stupid [c-word]."

This got two upvotes. They fail to explain why she's a "stupid [c-word]." All she did was talk on the phone and, in a neutral tone, asked her husband what he was doing.

There are more, but I'll stop here. Basically, I'm wondering why men whine about such random things being anti-male, and then following up with misogynistic comments. Another common theme I notice is that they think misogyny is practically illegal, whereas "anti-male" things are oh-so-common. If that were the case, then why is there so much misogyny on the Internet? I rarely see women saying men are dumb, stupid dicks that should get back to mowing the lawn. It's hypocritical of these assholes (some of which are probably MRAs) to whine about "misandry" while supporting misogyny or denying that it exists.

Why is misogyny so prevalent on YouTube and the Internet in general? Why do these men feel they're being persecuted when they're the ones who spew anti-female hatred? This is something I cannot grasp. I don't get it. Is there something I'm not seeing? It makes me resent being a woman sometimes, because I hate the idea of being looked down on and then told that I somehow have the upper-hand in society (which, of course, renders my views invalid since I'm just a privileged woman who doesn't understand the plight of men). I know that people often act different on the Internet than in real life, but the thought of there being hate directed against me for no reason makes me really angry and depressed.

Will someone please tell me why there is so much misogyny for every little thing? I want to punch a fucking wall whenever people complain about men being "oppressed" for not making the wife a dumb bitch in every commercial. Apparently, men always have to be portrayed positively (neutral doesn't cut it), or else it's "misandry!" Go figure.

Lioness

View user profile http://punchkickgame.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Innocuous yogurt commercial causes YouTube users to resort to misogyny (and essentially proves that misogyny is widely accepted in society)

Post by Pervocracy on Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:11 am

This is every YouTube comment.

I was watching a video about astronauts the other day and one of the astronauts was female, and a good 25% of the comments were to the effect that women had no place in space and they would ruin everything and she should make them a space sandwich. Just because she was female and the Internet wasn't about to let her get away with that.

I now have a browser plugin that blocks YouTube comments installed. This isn't the solution I'd like, but it lets me watch videos in peace.

Pervocracy

View user profile http://pervocracy.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Innocuous yogurt commercial causes YouTube users to resort to misogyny (and essentially proves that misogyny is widely accepted in society)

Post by GenericMeltingCat on Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:45 am

I frequently dislike comments on YouTube.
"What a sad, soulless male. This is what most angry, divorced, borderline lesbos wish their husbands were like."
This is what divorced lesbians wish their husbands were like? What the hell?

Edit: Okay, I don't frequently dislike comments on YouTube. But that's only because I generally go to only a select few "channels".

Last edited by GenericMeltingCat on Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Elaboration here I come)

GenericMeltingCat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rutee on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:20 pm

The claim, I think, is that they went gay only because they're angry at men.

Because that's totally a thing that happens.

Yeah, youtube comments are pretty stupid. I remember some black dude being amazingly misogynistic in response toa white girl on troper tales being racist. I was just "Right, that was smart."

Rutee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by David Futrelle on Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:53 pm

Holly, do you remember what specific video you were watching? I'd like to take a look at the comments.

David Futrelle
Admin

View user profile http://manboobz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervocracy on Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:01 am

David - It wasn't this one exactly (I watch a lot of astronaut videos), but this one is a good (terrible) example. So, to be fair, she did make a mistake, but FOR FUCK'S SAKE PEOPLE:

Talk about trying to psychologically-condition the general publics view about this female astronauts mistake. So she assumed that it was attached! A bloke would not have made all these excuses or had them made for him. She panicked as a FEMALE and this is all being covered up along with the injustices of the female agender movement by governments and for space. This aims to demasculinate the space conquest, humanities future and our survival here on earth. Mankind needs to assess Misandry first
To my knowledge, she wanted to work in the spaceships kitchen..... Wink
Now if it had a big CK or D&G on the bag, she would'nt have lost it no way. She would took it back inside the ISS and put it with her 40 pairs of shoes.
It woul have been better when she must have followed the bag! Women!

I'm a little rusty on my Asshole-to-English translation, but I believe that last one is expressing the opinion that it would have been better if she had drifted away from the space station and died. Charming.

Pervocracy

Back to top Go down

Post by Buttman on Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:19 pm

What happened? Did I roast everyone that bad? We may have went off-topic a little. I apologize.

Last edited by Buttman on Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Buttman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nobby on Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:58 pm

Pervocracy wrote:I now have a browser plugin that blocks YouTube comments installed. This isn't the solution I'd like, but it lets me watch videos in peace.

...please, please tell me the name of that plugin. The amount of mental anguish it could save is immense.

Nobby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervocracy on Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:57 pm

YouTube Options, for Chrome.

Pervocracy

Back to top Go down

Post by BoggiDWurms on Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:38 pm

Holly, do you remember what specific video you were watching? I'd like to take a look at the comments.

You could make a really great Manboobz article about this. That would be amazing.

BoggiDWurms

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Crumbelievable on Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:40 am

BoggiDWurms wrote:

You could make a really great Manboobz article about this. That would be amazing.

"Forget it, Jake, it's Youtube-town"

There's a joke that you can post the most batshit insane/bigoted comment on Youtube in jest and you'll get at least a few people to take you seriously and say, "You're so right!". It's one of the worst sites for comments, only behind Yahoo!

Dave could focus on Youtube for MRA videos though. Paul Elam has his own channel, aptly named "The Happy Misogynist". There's a ton, and the comments show you what kind of things MRAs really think about women.

Crumbelievable

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by David Futrelle on Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:23 pm

I mostly ignore MRA youtube videos, because they are tedious as fuck to watch. I don't want to watch them, and I doubt anyone here wants to watch them. (Well, llisten to them; most are little more than some dude talking, and quite a few of those simply feature a logo for the entire time.) Just write it down and post it, dammit!

David Futrelle
Admin

View user profile http://manboobz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervocracy on Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:33 pm

I can't watch MRA YouTube videos, because it freaks me out to hear a human saying those things. When they get all worked up it triggers my "hide behind something, call security, look for an exit" reflexes something bad.

I can skim written MRA rants. There's no way to skim a video and I can't sit through ten minutes of a guy raving and swearing at the camera.

Pervocracy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scar on Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:41 pm

Okay, I watched the yoghurt add and couldn't fathom what the issue is.
If she was my partner, I'd be looking for the Key Lime pie as well.
Is the add saying that I'm really a man?
OMG transphobia!!!11

Scar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum