Hey, I found a place that does need a Men's Right's Movement!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hey, I found a place that does need a Men's Right's Movement!

Post by Runic on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:11 pm

It's a province in India and pretty confident that none of our MRM friends are from there. But there it is.

Runic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hey, I found a place that does need a Men's Right's Movement!

Post by sperm burglar on Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:09 pm

I feel that the last word should come from Alfred so I ask my translator to target a simple question directly at him.

"What does he think of the matrilineal system?"

There is a long and considered pause. After what seems like an eternity the silence is finally broken.

"He like," pipes up Mary, and it is time to go.

poor alfred.

sperm burglar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hey, I found a place that does need a Men's Right's Movement!

Post by Fenriswolf on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:35 pm

That's interesting. There is an important distinction between matrilineal and matriarchal societies, and I suspect the situation in Meghalaya is more complicated than that article makes it appear. Eg:

In the state legislature, there don’t seem to be any women at all. The 2 Lok Sabha MP’s from Meghalaya are men and so are the Rajya Sabha MP’s. At the level of the local self-government a village head is a ‘headman’.*
There obviously are issues however, and Alfred makes me sad too! Sad That dynamic sounds very controlling and hopefully not representative. No

The nice thing about matrilineal societies is it avoids the obsession with women's sexuality. It's still a rigid system of gender roles, however, and that's ultimately not good for anyone.

* http://nitawriter.wordpress.com/2008/03/19/meghalaya-and-kerala-status-of-women/

Also: http://socyberty.com/society/matriarchal-societies-in-india/

Fenriswolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top