It makes me livid that MRAs and anti-feminists overlook or ignore things like this and claim that women have most or all the advantages...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

It makes me livid that MRAs and anti-feminists overlook or ignore things like this and claim that women have most or all the advantages...

Post by Lioness on Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:30 am

I found this article recently, and, well, it made me feel really damn depressed: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/01/world/01iht-poll.html?_r=0.

Here are some excerpts that really depress me:

"People around the world say they firmly support equal rights for men and women, but many still believe men should get preference when it comes to good jobs, higher education or even in some cases the simple right to work outside the home, according to a new survey of 22 nations. The poll, conducted in April and May by the Pew Research Center’s Global Attitudes Project in association with the International Herald Tribune, shows that in both developing countries and wealthy ones, there is a pronounced gap between a belief in the equality of the sexes and how that translates into reality."

Typical derailing tactic: "Affirmative action ruins men's chance of employment, because women get jobs they aren't qualified for!" (Note: I am not arguing for or against affirmative action; I'm just pointing out how some MRAs and anti-feminists argue that women are apparently always or often advantaged in this area and that "the wage gap is a lie.")

"The opinions of the French, in particular, are emblematic of the uneven drive for equality of the sexes. One hundred percent of French women and 99 percent of French men backed the idea of equal rights. Yet 75 percent also said that men there had a better life, by far the highest percentage in any of the countries in which polling took place."

Typical derailing tactic: "Western women are fat, ugly, and oppress men! Women have it so easy!"

"Yet the belief that men should not have the edge [in having more right to a job than women] does not translate into economic reality in many of the same countries. In France, Germany, Poland and India, at least 80 percent of those surveyed said men still got more opportunities than women for jobs that pay well, even when woman were as qualified."

Typical derailing tactic: Pretty much the same as typical derailing tactic #1.

Of course, I'm aware that the article isn't 100% negative. For example, "In telephone and face-to-face interviews, the Pew Center found that equality of the sexes was by vast majorities a goal for men and women alike" is a great thing to know. I just hate how fucking ignorant people are about feminism. We still have more work to do in many parts of the world, including supposedly "developed" nations.

Lioness

View user profile http://punchkickgame.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: It makes me livid that MRAs and anti-feminists overlook or ignore things like this and claim that women have most or all the advantages...

Post by Fenriswolf on Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:18 pm

This is gold. Much like people of course think rape is horrific! But to be "rape-rape" is an almost impossible standard.

"People around the world say they firmly support equal rights for men and women, but many still believe men should get preference when it comes to good jobs, higher education or even in some cases the simple right to work outside the home-"
This is why talking about patriarchy with less politically minded people can be frustrating as shit. Gender roles and accompanying privileges are so internalised and subtle it can be like getting blood out of a stone to even get the conversation started (with people who are genuinely interested, natch.)

Fenriswolf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top